The Lanesboro Stone Dam is a community treasure with an environmental and tourist impact that stretches beyond Lanesboro to the entire Bluff Country region.
Lanesboro Historic Dam
- The Lanesboro Stone Dam was built in 1868.
- It is one of only six gravity arch dams left in the United States
- The dam was created by immigrant craftsmen using unmortared limestone blocks. It is included in the National Registry of Historic Places and is registered with Minnesota’s State Historic Preservation Office.
- Only 3% of the nearly 80,000 dams in the U.S. generate electricity. Lanesboro is fortunate to be one of those dams.
- During the 2017 Special Legislative Session, the legislature granted the City of Lanesboro $4 million dollars for the repair of the Historic Lanesboro Stone Dam.
The article starts on page 15.