The City of Lanesboro has accepted a bid from ICON Construction for the rehabilitation of the Lanesboro Dam. Construction is set to begin in the Spring of 2020 with completion by December 2020. More information will be posted, as it becomes available.**
The Lanesboro Stone Dam is a community treasure with an environmental and tourist impact that stretches beyond Lanesboro to the entire Bluff Country region.
Lanesboro Historic Dam
- The Lanesboro Stone Dam was built in 1868.
- It is one of only six gravity arch dams left in the United States
- The dam was created by immigrant craftsmen using unmortared limestone blocks. It is included in the National Registry of Historic Places and is registered with Minnesota’s State Historic Preservation Office.
- Only 3% of the nearly 80,000 dams in the U.S. generate electricity. Lanesboro is fortunate to be one of those dams.
- During the 2017 Special Legislative Session, the legislature granted the City of Lanesboro $4 million dollars for the repair of the Historic Lanesboro Stone Dam.